Reports to: Senior Director of Community Programs
Classification: Full-Time | Exempt
Salary & Benefits: $75,000 to $85,000. The Center offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401k with employer contribution, voluntary life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance, paid parental, family care, and gender affirming healthcare leave. We also offer a generous paid time off policy.
Schedule: Generally Monday through Friday. Work days and hours may shift depending on scheduling needs; typical schedule will be 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; flexibility required. The Center currently operates under a hybrid work model. This position requires work on-site at The Center at least three days per week.
Summary: The Director of Community Advancement is responsible for the oversight, development and implementation of Center Advancement programs (Youth Leadership & Engagement and Young Adult Economic Initiatives programs) and will steward The Center’s mission and dedication to intersectional work in social justice, gender equity, and racial equity. The Director will directly oversee and monitor the planning, implementation, and delivery of the spectrum of Center Advancement services for LGBTQ+ youth & young adults offered by The Center. These services seek to improve educational, and economic attainment, as well as delivery of the spectrum of services including access to education, income and occupation, including housing and other related areas to secure sustainable and long-term economic development. The Director will ensure that Center Advancement programs adhere to contract execution and contract deliverables determined by a number of federal, state, city, and private foundation contracts. This position looks for a leader who can work in a collaborative and interdepartmental manner with vision at the macro and micro levels.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advance the mission of The Center by providing departmental leadership, management, oversight, and guidance to the Center Advancement programs (Youth Leadership & Engagement and Young Adult Economic Initiatives).
- Work with department managers and teams to engage communities in the provision of intersectional collaboration and successful community engagement.
- Develop and implement strategies that will maximize the synergies among program areas.
- Participate in advocacy strategies to inform and influence key community, government and other stakeholders in support of The Center’s Behavioral Health, Center Economic Advancement related programming and mission including monitoring and analyzing legislation and other policy developments to assess risks and opportunities for The Center.
- Cultivate new and existing relationships with partners with the goal of ensuring sufficient continuum of care and access to services.
- Team Management and Development:
- Provide direct supervision of the Youth Leadership & Engagement team to expand direct services, finding innovative grant/funding opportunities, and forecasting fiscal and programmatic needs.
- Provide direct supervision of the Young Adult Economic Initiatives team to expand direct services, support case management connections and needs, and assist in creating supportive community programming.
- Supervise and collaborate in programmatic planning and implementation both within the Center Advancement program department and across program departments, on deliverables, and metric and goal planning for each program service area.
- Programs Management:
- Work with the Senior Director of Community Programs, managers, and directors in other program areas to meet all deliverables associated with the Center Advancement grants, including tracking of deliverables for all relevant program areas and updating the monthly dashboard to ensure contract compliance.
- Monitor and track spending for programs and coordinate with the Senior Director of Contracts and Finance Administration to oversee budgeting.
- Develop, oversee, and reconcile departmental operating, programming, and foundation budgets.
- Provide additional supervision for intern placements who provide services across the Center Advancement team.
- Facilitate monthly Center Advancement meetings and collaborative partnerships with Center departments to grow strong partnerships with local community organizations.
- Lead planning and assessment efforts for the department to determine the effectiveness of programs and services offered in order to create a consistently welcoming and inclusive Center climate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related human services required; Master’s degree a plus; or equivalent transferable life/professional experience.
- At least four (4) to six (6) years of previous experience and demonstrated ability and aptitude in program and people management.
- Strong leadership, administrative, organization, and written/verbal communication skills.
- Bilingual a plus.
- Experience leading multiple programs with diverse goals and objectives.
- Knowledge, understanding and experience working with LGBTQ+ youth and young adults including knowledge on the issues, needs and interests of LGBTQ+ youth, adults, families and community, including knowledge of the spectrum of gender identity and transgender issues.
- Strong knowledge and understanding and demonstrated experience and skills in program development, project management, event production, volunteer/staff supervision, community organizing, and outreach.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of grants and contracts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to inclusive, multicultural programming; prior experience working within coalitions with diverse communities and an understanding of intersectional oppressions
- Knowledge, understanding and experience working with LGBTQ+, TGNC, POC, and Immigrant populations, including knowledge of the spectrum of gender identity, transgender issues, immigration, and POC issues.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, undoing structural and institutional racism and bias and the spectrum of gender identity and bias. Consideration of the impacts and outcomes in decision-making processes and on underserved and historically oppressed communities.
- A strong commitment to social justice and the mission of The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
The Center is subject to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene’s Commissioner’s Order requiring COVID-19 Vaccination for Staff in Residential and Congregate Settings from New York City’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The Center is required to comply with this order because we have a number of contracts with New York City.
All current and new staff must either provide a one-time verification that they are fully vaccinated with either a single-dose of an FDA- or WHO-approved one-dose COVID-19 vaccine or the second dose of an FDA- or WHO-approved two-dose vaccine.
The Center’s Commitment to Equity & Inclusivity:
The Center was born of community activism in response to the AIDS epidemic, ensuring a place for LGBTQ people to access information, care, and support that they were not receiving elsewhere. We opened in 1983 to help people who had doors constantly closed in their faces, ostracized by family, friends, and shunned by the general society. Since that time, we have continually provided a wide array of services and programs to serve our community, with an intentional focus on providing support to those who are most vulnerable. We have always taken great care to be a space that responds to community need; engaging in diversity, equity and inclusion work is another outgrowth of those ongoing efforts. We recognize that in order to help LGBTQ individuals and our diverse community achieve parity in health, justice, opportunity and success outcomes, our organization must hold a strong foundation and competency in, as well as invest organizational focus on, equity and inclusion frameworks, practices and policies. This is also true in our hiring and retention of staff.
The Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.